EARS Scholarship Program
A scholarship to support students pursuing a postsecondary education
Who can apply:
- Any Oregon high school graduating senior
- First-time college freshmen and undergrads
- Part-time or Full-time College undergraduate students
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria:
- Residency: State of Oregon
- GPA: 2.50+
- College Major: Radio Broadcasting, journalism, production, management, broadcast engineering, or another broadcast-related major
- Career field: Radio broadcasting
- Must enroll at least half time in a USA college only
- FAFSA is not required – not based on financial need
- Apply and compete for one additional year
- Additional requirement: Provide names, addresses, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers (not letters) of at least two references/recommendations.
Students must complete and submit the Eugene Area Radio Stations – EARS Scholarship Application Form. Only online applications will be considered.
May 1, 2023
Eugene Area Radio Stations – EARS
Mail: 24700 Norris Road
Junction City, OR 97448
Full Scholarship Eligibility Criteria Checklist
Scholarship Fund Name: Eugene Area Radio stations Broadcast Scholarship Fund. Number of Award(s); one (1) High school and one (1) college Award Amount(s): $3,000.00 Each
Students apply by submitting the Eugene Area Radio Stations - EARS - Scholarship Application Form no later than May 1.
Eligible Students who can apply (note requirement or preference for particular state).
- Oregon Resident - US citizen or eligible noncitizen
- Resident: specific state - Oregon
- Current graduating high school senior
- Prior high school graduate
- College undergrad
- College graduate student - NO
- Prior award recipient
- GED recipient - identify by city or county of residence
- Home school graduate - identify by city or county residence
College Enrollment Major
- Plan to enroll at least half-time (includes full-time enrollment)
- College Major - Required: Enroll in a part-time or full-time, undergraduate course of study in Radio broadcast, journalism, production, management, broadcasting engineering, or other radio broadcasting-related major at an eligible institution.
- Career Field - Radio Broadcasting
(where award may be used)
- Public Community Colleges (2-year)
- Public Colleges/Universities (4-year)
- Private Institutions (one or both below)
- Nonprofit Institution
- For-profit Institution
- Located only in the United States
The awardee may reapply and compete - Maximum of two years
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA
- Academics prioritized over Financial Need
- FAFSA not required by the applicant. Need not be considered.
- Min. unweighted cumulative high school GPA score: 2.5+ required
- Min. unweighted cumulative college GPA score: 2.5+ required
- GED Certificate: 2.5+ required
(personal statements, Activities Chart, or other consideration)
Ranked by priority:
- Goals/task commitment
- Specific essay talking about student's activity, and any radio broadcast practical experience and work history
- Knowledge/creativity or artistic ability/strengths/skills
- Community service/Leadership/Group contributions
- Dealing with challenges/obstacles
PERSONAL STATEMENT QUESTIONS
- Explain your career aspirations and your educational plan to meet these goals.
- Describe a challenge or obstacle you faced in the last ten years. What did you learn about yourself from this experience?
- Describe a personal accomplishment and the strengths and skills you used to achieve it.
- Explain how you helped your family or made your community a better place to live. Provide specific examples.
NOTE: Extra documents are not encouraged, Use only the listed questions to inform the selection committee. NOTE: Eugene Area Radio Stations - EARS -requires applicants to provide names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses of at least two references/recommendations (not letters).
- Student may review full application prior to completing the form in order to prepare answers and attachments.
- A final selection committee will be appointed by the Eugene Area Radio Stations board of directors.
- Review of applications will be by electronic application submissions only.
- Upon completion and acceptance of online application form, applicant will be able to save and print a PDF for their files.
- EARS will notify the award recipients and specify the requirements of the award no later than the end of July. Recipients shall sign and return the award notice, acknowledging the terms and certifying that the funds will only be used for educational expenses. EARS shall be responsible for the disbursement of scholarship funds to the recipient's college financial aid office. Scholarships may only be disbursed to institutions certified to receive federal Title IV financial aid funds in the United States. The funds will be made available to the students by their school.
DONOR CONTACT INFORMATION
Peter Powell, Executive Director, Eugene Area Radio Stations - EARS
Mail: 24700 Norris Road, Junction City, OR 97448